Thursday, 22 July 2010

Asgarth the Invincible: Chapter VIII

Presently, as Asgarth sat nursing a flagon of ale and his bruised self-confidence in the tavern, a stranger approached him. “If ye seek gainful employment,” he expatiated, “the lands around here have been plagued by a gang of sea raiders of late. Perhaps ye can raise a squadron of mercenaries and hunt them down, and thus win glory and renown.”

“Aye,” verbalised Asgarth, rising with newfound vigour. “This shall be my path to glory and fame indeed, and will win me the fair heart of Kaeteli much better than a stupid bullshit tournament!”

Hiring some hired swords, he left Sargoth and went in search of the rasculous sea raiders of whom the man had spoken, who had promised a bulbous reward if they should be slain by the hero’s keen blade-edge, which sang with the thirst for blood, within two months.

Seven days and nights did Asgarth and his men hunt the sea raiders, chasing them unto as far as the snowy stretches of the Vaegir borderlands, before he fell upon them and slew them to a man. Two of Asgarth’s mercenaries died a noble death.


In joy Asgarth returned on the long road to Sargoth and went to the tavern. “I have slain the miscreants,” he conveyed.

“Those weren’t the ones I meant,” said the man.

So Asgarth betook his men and once more ranged the length and breadth of the borderlands until they came upon another clutch of sea raiders, and destroyed them. In exultation Asgarth returned on the long road to Sargoth and went to the tavern. “I have slain the miscreants,” he perorated.

“Those weren’t the ones I meant,” said the man.

A third time did Asgarth brave the hostile expanses of the borderlands, after many days finding another band of sea raiders, exterminating them. In delectation Asgarth returned on the long road to Sargoth and went to the tavern. “I have slain the miscreants,” he recited.

“Those weren’t the ones I meant,” said the man.

“This is fucking bullshit,” declaimed Asgarth, and left the tavern.

No comments:

Post a Comment