Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Asgarth the Invincible: Chapter VI

In the royal city of Sargoth, the gabled roofs of whom thrust high into the air like the spires of mighty buildings, Asgarth heard that King Ragnar was holding a great feast in celebration of his victory over the Swadian foe. Luckily it was surprisingly easy to walk through the front gate of the castle and join the great nobles of the land in their revelry, which is what Asgarth did.

At the head of the table was King Ragnar, bedecked in ermine and clad in furs and sleeves of silk, his crown glistening upon his head.

“Mighty king,” proclaimed Asgarth, bowing. “I come to offer you my sword as your loyal vassal.”

“No thanks,” promulgated King Ragnar. “I don’t need your help right now.”

This is bullshit, muttered Asgarth, but under his breath so as not to cause offence. Across the room he saw Jarl Harald, whom he approached. “It is I, Asgarth the Invincible, my lord. Sorry I failed thee before. Mightest thou have another task for me?”

“No,” uttered Harald, but Asgarth did not hear. His eyes had been caught by a vision of beauty beside Jarl Harald. It was the Lady Kaeteli, Jarl Harald’s daughter, the most renowned beauty in the kingdom.


Her hair was flaxen blond, her cheeks like porcelain with a taint of rose, her lips full and sensuous like a blossom on a sweltering summer’s day, her neck graceful and soft like a swan.

“Alas, my heart is slain,” mouthed Asgarth to himself. “For on this day I have met the fair maiden whom I shall one day make my betrothed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment