A British academic was visiting the institute this week and gave a lecture on Thursday evening. As she's one of the leading people in her field (I think she actually invented the entire Carolingian period), I was determined to attend the lecture.
To make sure I'd be able to get to the institute that evening, I went exploring the city for a walking stick. I found one, too, in a tourist shop in the centre which has an entire basement dedicated to hats and cuckoo clocks. When moogdroog comes I intend to take her there, as she likes hats and as far as I know is not hostile to cuckoo clocks. I might even buy a hat myself, then grow a moustache and parade the streets of Vienna with my walking stick looking like this chap.

Unfortunately I must have managed to snap another vertebra during my expedition, as by the time I got back to the flat my old friend the gorilla was tagging along, clutching at my leg. I took painkillers and tried to get to the lecture that evening, but, having wrapped myself up against the snow and hobbled five storeys down to the street, I could walk about twenty yards and could go no farther. I spent most of today lying down. I hope it's better tomorrow, as I'm running out of food again and everything shuts here on a Sunday.
Ha! Crippled by trying to buy a walking stick. If there is a god, I do not appreciate his sense of humour.
I remember when you dragged me to safety from a minefield after you got both your legs and your nuts blown off. I don't remember you moaning about the pain then.
ReplyDeleteLiving in Europe has made you soft.
Yeah, what ever Craig said. I didn't read it, but whatever he said as well.
ReplyDeleteI approve of the idea of getting a top hat.
ReplyDeleteI approve of God mocking you.
ReplyDelete