Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Penitente agite!

From the eleventh-century Old English penitential Scriftboc:

"If an animal has been polluted by a man's penis, let it be killed and given to dogs. If there is doubt about this, let the animal live."

I know it's rude, but it's so funny. Not about the bestiality, but the fact that they leave room in case of doubt. As though some Anglo-Saxons were running about having sex with so many animals that they lost track. Or perhaps they got so drunk that the next morning they couldn't remember if they'd fucked a pig or not.

3 comments:

  1. it's a pretty thin line though. the difference between giving an animal tender loving care or raping it, is disputed among many.

    I read an article once about the development on how bestiality should be treated in penitentials. in the early middle ages, both man and beast came away alive, but the perpetrator had to do some sort of penance, which didn't include getting bits hacked off you. so far, fair play.

    whereas in the late middle ages, towards the renaissance, bestiality was seen as an act of the devil and both man and beast, if caught or proven guilty (I can't and don't want to imagine how) were sentenced to death.

    and the meat of the animal was not to be eaten. now that's harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this solution is much more animal friendly: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4748292.stm

    ReplyDelete
  3. OI! I Want to see snow pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete