Saturday, 11 September 2010

House and Housesteads

This is my mascot at the kitchen window. I was going to put him at the front of the house but I was afraid people might think I was some kind of flag-waving nationalist, and I'm never going to make that mistake again.


I found this pot in a charity shop and was instantly smitten. Not only is it perfect for storing teabags for easy access, but it can be used to reflect my inner mood. For example, if I hear some good news, such as that HBO have given the green light to a 5-season remake of the 90s sci-fi cult classic Babylon 5, I can have the pot like this to express my joy.


If, on the other hand, I hear some bad news, such as that HBO have decided not to give the green light to a 5-season remake of the 90s sci-fi cult classic Babylon 5, I can turn the mug around to express my anger and sadness.


I also went up to Hadrian's Wall today. The last time I went I was 17 and cycling the length of Britain with Dunk, and we stopped one night at a Youth Hostel near the Wall and in the evening I walked up to take a look at it, was disappointed to find that it was the size of a garden wall, and then pulled a calf muscle to boot. This visit was better.

Here's a text exchange I had with Mithraea, who shares my reasonable infatuation with all things Roman. (I apologise in advance for the obscenities, but it was an emotionally charged moment for both of us.)


TARQUIN: I'm sending you this text from hadrian's wall. I am literally standing right on the actual fucking wall with a boner the size of the parthian empire.


MITHRAEA: That is totally fucking awesome. I hope you have your gladius out and your helmet too. Marcus Aurelius would be proud!


TARQUIN: I am stabbing every scotch person i see.


MITHRAEA: I hope you scream "remember mons graupius!" at them in latin as the blade sinks in.

7 comments:

  1. I like the happy teabag holder, but then again i like the unhappy one. I dont know what to do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Put a mirror behind it.'

    What? Hadrian's Wall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I thought so, but I wasn't too sure. That's why i was asking for clarification. I mean, you'd need a pretty big mirror to put behind Hadrian's Wall. Did you know it's the only man made structure you can see from outer space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...unless you count Tarquin's giant boner of course. That could be seen from space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Mr. Sheen,

    That lovely teabag holder is truly a thing of beauty.

    Hadrian's Wall isn't half bad either.

    Mrs. Lily Roth

    ReplyDelete