Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Doctor WTF?

Of the many things in this world I have resigned myself never to understand (among them quantum physics and any form of organised sport), one is the BBC's flagship sci-fi campfest Doctor Who.

It's not like I haven't tried to like it. I like sci-fi in general, being quite partial to really good TV series like Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar Galactica. I also have no problem with off-beat drama that doesn't take itself too seriously and rejoices in its very cheesiness. But after watching a couple of episodes of the new series of Doctor Who I was left amazingly unmoved.

The new Doctor Who, Matt Smith, who according to Moogdroog "looks like a giant foot"

If it was a nerdy niche show that would be all right, but it seems to be massively popular with a broad swathe of the viewing public. Is it because it's so undemanding and family friendly? Do people find it funny and exciting instead of cheap, poorly written and melodramatic? It pretends not to take itself seriously, but it this is belied by its insistent moralising and hapless stabs at dramatic profundity. What the hell is going on here? Can the BBC truly do no better?

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest, it's been bugging me for several years.

* UPDATE *

Stephen Fry agrees with me, and he's right about everything except the iPad.

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! Fantastic summing up of a show that I've never understood!

    I expect there will be a backlash against you though... I'd put your house up for sale and move now... Fanboys tend to be quite passionate. I've lost count of the number I've offended over the years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but Stephen Fry doesn't agree with you.
    He thinks that the show is "wonderfully written" and was going to write an episode himself but had to pull out because of other commitments.
    He has simply made the point that the BBC doesn't make good 'adult' programmes at the moment, and he regards Doctor Who as a 'children's' programme.
    Several million people would disagree with him over that minor point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he almost agrees with me.

    ReplyDelete