Monday, 23 November 2009

Squeaky floors


My two flatmates are recluses. I’ve spoken to each of them twice in the last week. The first is a PhD biology student from Norway who doesn’t speak much German, but he gave me a can of beer when I first arrived, so he’s okay.

The second is a short, middle-aged German called Jürgen who walks about with an inadequately buttoned-up shirt. The first thing he said to me, after telling me his name, was ‘If you have a can, it goes in the white bin,’ pointing at the black bin. Then I saw him this morning. He said ‘hello’, I said ‘good morning’, and that was it.

The kitchen floor is also really squeaky. It has a lino covering, but the floorboards beneath squeak like crazy. It’s like walking about on the face of a giant angry mouse.

I need to go to the university library this afternoon, which will be exciting since I’ve never used it before. I get confused in the main university building because it reminds me so much of York campus.

The University of York

The University of Vienna

4 comments:

  1. It's strange - York Uni looks a lot better than....than in fact it actually does, and Vienna University looks like it's got dodgy foundations from some rock concert, way back.

    It's funny what you can tell from a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The University of Vienna looks amazing, are there ducks in that pond?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not the University of Vienna, that's the house you shared in the third year, I remember we trashed the stairs by riding down them on frying pans and shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was drunk the entire third year, either drunk or off my head on crack. Crack I bought off Clay.

    ReplyDelete